What is Modern Slavery?
Products of Slavery 3:12
From materials to production, slave labor contributes to many everyday items...
You can read the short transcript instead.
- An estimated 49.6 million people are in modern slavery all over the world. This generates an estimated $150 billion in illegal profits every year, making forced labor the second largest international crime.
- Bonded labour or debt bondage is when a workers’ labor is demanded to repay a loan. The person is usually coerced into working long after the loan is repaid. Often, the debt is passed on to the next generation.
- Forced labor is any work which people are forced to do against their will. 16 million, or 64% of of people in forced labor are in the private economy, exploited by individuals or enterprises. According to the United Nations International Labour Organization (ILO) there are 24,900,000 people in forced labour.
- Child slavery is one of the most shocking forms of slavery. Worldwide it is estimated that that one in four victims of slavery are children. Children’s labour is exploited in many jobs, including physical labor and domestic slavery.
- Live-in migrant domestic workers are particularly vulnerable to exploitation because, confined to a private home, they are isolated from protections offered in a regular workplace.
- Child marriage can be another form of slavery, if the following three elements are present: if either party hasn’t given their free and informed consent, if either party is being subjected to control and a sense of ownership, and if either party cannot realistically leave or end the marriage. Servile marriage can affect adults too.
- Human trafficking is the act of recruiting or transferring a person by means of coercion, abduction or deception for the purpose of exploitation. Although most people assume sexual exploitation to be the most common reason for trafficking people, it is in fact for forced labor.
TAKE ACTION: My Story, My Dignity Pledge
Freedom United is interested in hearing from our community and welcomes relevant, informed comments, advice, and insights that advance the conversation around our campaigns and advocacy. We value inclusivity and respect within our community. To be approved, your comments should be civil.
A few things we do not tolerate: comments that promote discrimination, prejudice, racism, or xenophobia, as well as personal attacks or profanity. We screen submissions in order to create a space where the entire Freedom United community feels safe to express and exchange thoughtful opinions.
i have a question why has slavery started. i am a student studying the subject please help
braydin, you received many good comments on your question. I’d be interested in what you conclude from your studies. I’ll add my two-cents: War and slavery are common among other intelligent animals such as chimps and ants. War and slavery have continued as part of human societies for millions of years. The winners in war generally enslaved the losers. For millennia, Europeans enslaved other Europeans, Africans enslaved other Africans and Asians enslaved other Asians, usually, but not always, as the result of warfare. As commerce expanded between continents, slaves were added to the commodities being traded. But, in the mid nineteenth-century, European countries… Read more »
Hi Braydin, im not a so-called “proffsssionnel” (are there any real ones?), but for your question about the “why” of the phenomenon, I don’t think anyone really has that answer. because she is too old for a long time, the survival instinct leads to taking advantage of others, suppressing hunger / resentment. even before we can put words to these emotions. why is the world sick? it’s just our reflection dear Braydin.
See the speak of docyar israr ahmed about slaves (ghulam bandi) In youtube
it started because in europe, they were used to help the economy. slaves were the backbone of european economy, and when other nations saw this they wanted slaves, too. it truly wasn’t about the color of their skin in the beginning, but as slavery went on people started to see black people as less than them because they were slaves. and when slavery ended that same stereotype was kept.
i think it started because people did not like black people cause of the colour of their skin
Slavery existed long before skin colour became associated with skin colour. Ancient Rome had slaves from all over Europe, including Greece. Definitely not black.
Hi braydin I cant answer your question because I’m only in 5th grade plus I go to school during this pandemic. We are having a Project about slavery and it’s due 22 October 2020 and today is the 17th October 2020.
Huh, guess this isn’t helpful.
Why not dive deeper into Freedom University at the bottom of the Learn page
thank you for helping. and i will look at the link you send me. and im not trying to be a pest but can you send me another link.
You can access Freedom University by clicking on this link: https://www.freedomunited.org/freedom-university/
PEOPLE IN MIDDLE EAST AFRICA SUFFER THE MOST . AS MOST DONOT FIND TRUE KNOWLEDGE . MANY NOT ALLOWED TO READ MANY BOOK IN LIFE . READ ONLY ONE .
yeah they read one which is Quran but there is another problem that they don’t really get it ! they just read it without even understanding .. it’s insane
hello I love the video!!!!!!!!!!
Selfish leaders ! Selfish generation ! Selfish 21st century ! Selfish you will destroy yourself by yourself !happening is nothing but deliberate evil action by the secret societies. What does it benefit a man if he gains the whole world yet at the end looses himself.??? So what you are a prime minister !!! So what you’re the president !!! So what you are a king !!! So what hat you are a church leader !!! STOP E
why has slavery started. i am a student studying the subject please help