J/TIP, the State Department’s Trafficking in Person’s office, has lacked a trafficking ambassador for ten months. One major concern involves the political pressure to upgrade countries like Malaysia in light of the negotiations regarding the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a proposed trade agreement among eleven countries and the United States. Watch for these five issues to come up at the ambassador’s nomination hearing:
- Prosecutions have dropped 23% worldwide.
- Of perhaps 20.9 million victims, 68% involved forced labor…but only 5%of traffickers last year were convicted.
- How can credibility of the TIP Report be restored?
- Improved data collection for the TIP Report
- Need to monitor corporations regarding supply chains that rely on forced labor