- This event has passed.
June 17 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm EDT
United States’ Child Marriage Problem
The United States has a child marriage problem, our new study proves.
Join us at Unchained At Last and Chelsea Clinton on June 17 for a virtual discussion of the groundbreaking study, which found nearly 300,000 children were legally married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2018 — mostly girls wed to adult men, typically before the girls were old enough to file for divorce or enter a domestic violence shelter. Some 60,000 marriages occurred at an age or with a spousal age difference that should have been considered a sex crime.
We’ll mark our 10th anniversary by talking with bipartisan legislators, advocates and a survivor about the grave implications of child marriage for girls, women and society — and about the simple solution that is available.
- Chelsea Clinton, Vice Chair of the Clinton Foundation
- New York Sen. Julia Salazar
- South Carolina Sen. Katrina Shealy
- Dr. Yvette Efevbera, Advisor, Gender-Based Violence and Child Marriage, Gender Equality at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Blair Imani, Author, Educator, and Influencer
- Patricia Abatemarco, Child Marriage Survivor and Mental Health Advocate
- Fraidy Reiss, Founder/Executive Director at Unchained At Last