We’re hiring: Senior Advocacy Officer
*CLOSED: position has now been filled*
This is an opportunity for a someone who loves writing and has a deep commitment to human rights to bring their passions together in campaigns that mobilise the world’s largest community dedicated to ending human trafficking and modern slavery. Freedom United is a Stop Slavery Campaigns Award finalist, respected for our ability to mobilize supporters and build power through digital campaigns bolstering our partner organizations’ efforts and resulting in real change for a world in which slavery no longer thrives.
Permanent, full-time (flexible, down to 80% FT)
Location: Remote, U.S. based, preference for New York
Freedom United harnesses the power of its supporters to influence social, business and political change. Freedom United is a digital-first organization that works closely with partner organizations and experts in the field to build strong, effective online campaigns and engaging copy to mobilize our supporters to take action, to ensure decision-makers around the world take action to end modern slavery.
The Senior Advocacy Officer reports to the Executive Director and will lead on implementing some of our US and global campaigns on a broad range of modern slavery issues. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a small team focused on using the latest in digital campaigning, working with partners around the world, to help build a stronger, and more powerful movement.
Postholder attributes: The postholder’s experience is not as important as their ability to meet the essential attributes listed below, in particular writing, as content creation forms a significant part of the role.
- Excellent written communication skills that can follow the Freedom United style
- Exceptional eye and enthusiasm for getting things just right
- Strong teamwork ethic and confidence in staff management
- As a ‘digital-first’ nonprofit, confidence in an array of digital tools
- Flexibility; quick learning; self-starting; logical thinking; timely problem solving; confident decision-making; pragmatic; highly values integrity
- Significant experience in advocacy in the non-profit sector, using both online and offline tactics/technologies in the US and internationally
- An active network, especially within the US and globally that can help end modern slavery, and a proven relationship builder
- Strong understanding of the US policy process and international mechanisms
- A strategic thinker demonstrated through campaign design and management
- Understanding of and commitment to ending modern slavery and human trafficking
- Develop, implement and maintain a variety of campaigns primarily on advocacy, but also including fundraising and awareness/supporter education
- Draft and oversee the drafting of content on campaigns, news and slavery issues and publish on freedomunited.org
- Work closely and consult with partner organizations, and experts, to develop a strong strategy, policy, and accurate message
- Develop existing and create new campaign partnerships that empower partner organizations and broaden support for campaigns, strengthening their impact
- Be plugged in to monitor world events to identify opportunities for new campaigns and developments in existing and past campaigns
- Respond rapidly and effectively to campaign developments and identify opportunities to further campaigns
- Manage direct reports, building and developing skills, and overseeing work
- Follow best practices and ensure learning is applied organization-wide
- Maintain and enforce organizational procedures and processes to help ensure quality of output, and keep under review making recommendations for amendments
- Assistance with building activities to help broaden out our supporter base
- Keep updated with developments in campaign innovation and seek to apply creative techniques to secure campaign wins
- Create content for campaigns on the website and for supporter emails
- Organize campaign actions and logistics such as public petition deliveries and stunts
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required by the Executive Director.
- 24 days paid time off (10 of which are public holidays, plus the day off on your birthday and light responsibilities between Christmas and New Year)
- Flexible work arrangements
- Ability to drive positive change around the world
- Salary: $40,000 – $50,000 dependent on experience. We do not offer healthcare cover.
Please submit your CV and 350 word cover letter to [email protected] with ‘Senior Advocacy Officer’ in the subject line. Limited resources may prevent us from replying to all candidates. Position remains open until filled.
As a team we are relatively identity diverse. We practice equality in our recruitment and seek diversity to further improve our understanding of both the Freedom United community and victims of slavery.
We’re particularly interested in applications from people with lived experience of trafficking and modern slavery.
About Freedom United
Our vision: is a world free of modern slavery and human trafficking.
Our mission: We are the world’s largest community dedicated to ending human trafficking and modern slavery. We mobilize a united community to create power for change by making the public stakeholders in the ending modern slavery. We equip millions of supporters with awareness, education and ways to take action that drives real change.
- Action – We must bring together global voices as one to create power for sustainable change
- Empowerment – We believe that the anti-slavery movement should be survivor-led
- Community – Collaborating in strong partnerships and coalitions is central to our impact
- Respect – We prioritize accuracy over sensationalism, rather we embrace complexity and nuance
- Transparency – We value integrity, share what we know and collaborate wherever we can
You can read more about how we work and our beliefs including on mass action and the need for systemic change at https://www.freedomunited.org/how-we-work/