Your country must act quickly to adopt and implement the international law1 to prevent abuses, protect victims, as well as punish those that profit from forced labor.
We have already waited decades for this tough new global standard against forced labor. The people trapped on farms, in mines, in factories and in all the other places where forced labor flourishes shouldn’t have to wait while our policy-makers drag their heels to put this law into practice.
All countries must prioritize this effort to end forced labor: call on the Government of your country to adopt this law immediately.
- Prevention. Governments are obligated to create national action plans to tackle forced labor and support business to root out and respond to forced labor in their supply chains.
- Better protection for victims. This includes the safeguarding of vulnerable migrant workers against fraudulent and abusive recruitment practices.
- Justice. Victims are now protected from prosecution for crimes they may have committed as a direct result of their forced labor. They also have access to justice, including the ability to claim for compensation for the abuses they have experienced, where they occurred.
Our collective voice can keep forced labor on the agenda and ensure swift action by the Government of your country. Act now!
Learn more by visiting our landing page.
Ratified countries (59) as of March 2022:
Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Chile, Comoros, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czechia, Côte d’Ivoire, Denmark, Djibouti, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Niger, Norway, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Thailand, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, and Zimbabwe.
- http://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/media-centre/press-releases/WCMS_246549/lang–en/index.htm ↩
- http://www.ilo.org/dyn/norhttp://www.ilo.org/dyn/normlex/en/f?p=NORMLEXPUB:12100:0::NO:12100:P12100_INSTRUMENT_ID:3174672:NOmlex/en/f?p=NORMLEXPUB:12100:0::NO::P12100_ILO_CODE:C029 ↩
- http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/06/11/global-treaty-protect-forced-labor-victims-adopted ↩