WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person. We generally collect or receive personal information in three ways:
- when you voluntarily provide information to us, such as when you register an account with or input information into our website, donate to us (online or offline), sign a petition, contact us, or attend one of our events;
- we collect information automatically, such as through cookies or through use of our website; and
- other parties, such as social networks, may provide information to us or grant us access to information which can be reasonably linked to you.
Each of these methods is described in more detail below:
- Information You Voluntarily Choose to Provide
The personal information we collect from you will vary depending on the services you are using, the websites you are visiting, and how you access those services and websites. The personal information you provide to us may include the following: first and last name, street address, city, state, zip code, country, telephone number, email address, and subject of inquiry.
- Information Collected Automatically When You Use the Website
Like most websites, we collect basic web traffic information (such as IP addresses) to monitor overall usage of our site. This helps us understand traffic patterns and know if there are problems on the site. We use embedded images in emails to track open rates for our campaigns, so that we can learn better how to keep members of our community engaged with the fight against modern slavery. We also use URLs (website links) in emails with an identifier that allows us to correctly identify the person who takes an action using a web page, so we can know who our most active members are and what initiatives they support.
We use Google Analytics to collect certain analytical information, as described above, to help us better understand activity on the Websites, and improve the quality of the Websites. We receive this data in an aggregated, anonymous form that does not personally identify any individual user. You can obtain additional information on Google Analytics’ collection and processing of data, including how to opt out, here.
- Information We Receive from Others
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information:
- to provide the services or information you request;
- to identify and authenticate users for signing up for and logging in to the Websites;
- to populate our petition ‘hand-ins’ (submitting signatories’ names and countries to the recipients/targets of our petitions);
- to stay in contact with you, let you know of new opportunities to take part in the fight against modern slavery, and provide you with updates and information;
- to better understand our users, their interests, and their preferences, in order to provide more targeted communications;
- to develop, deliver, and improve our services, user experience and other offerings;
- to measure the effectiveness of our content and campaigns;
- to monitor performance of the Websites;
- to monitor and moderate online community interactions on the Websites (for example, public comments and community inquiries);
- to authorize and process transactions for donations;
- to track donation histories and peer-to-peer fundraising activity to improve relationship management with our donors; and
- for internal auditing purposes.
We also collect information in an aggregated form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose aggregated or otherwise non-personal information for any purpose.
WHEN MIGHT WE GIVE ANYONE ELSE ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Freedom United will not disclose your personal information to any third parties except:
- to vendors who provide services for us and/or on our behalf, including, without limitation, our contractors, website and data hosting providers, email or SMS providers, technology service providers, payment processors, customer service providers, survey providers, advertising partners, campaign partners and other persons who perform services for us – in which case, Freedom United uses reasonable steps to ensure such third parties keep your personal information confidential and do not use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than the purpose of providing those services to us;
- to our professional advisers, accountants, insurers, lawyers and auditors on a confidential basis;
- if Freedom United or its assets are or may be acquired by a third party, the information may be provided to that third party and its advisors;
- in exceptional circumstances, Freedom United may be required or permitted by law to disclose personal information, for example where such disclosure is necessary to meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation; detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues; and/or protect the rights, property or safety of Freedom United, our employees or other users of the Websites.; or
- otherwise with your consent.
From time to time, where you have given your consent, we might let you know about an exciting or important campaign being run by a partner organization in the fight against modern day slavery. When we do this, Freedom United will let you know, and will not disclose any of your personal information to such an organization without your consent and without securing a suitable written agreement with the other organization for the proper use of this information.
For our campaigns to be effective, it is important that our members and supporters make a public stand in the fight against slavery. So if you participate in specific campaign actions such as adding your name to a petition, uploading a video to our site or writing a letter to a news media organization, your information may be available publicly on our website. Personal information that may be made available on our website includes your comments, along with your first name, last initial, and your country of residence.
DONATIONS OR PURCHASES
Any financial information is sent via a secure server and encrypted for your protection. Freedom United does not see, store, or retain credit card numbers. Credit card information is submitted directly to Stripe.com, a trusted payment processor that processes your financial transactions.
HOW DOES FREEDOM UNITED KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SECURE?
USE OF OUR WEBSITE EMAIL TOOL
In some campaigns, we offer a function in which members can write a message to their head of state, a company CEO, a news organization or other decision makers. These messages are sent in your name, with your contact information such as your email address as the return address. Please review the content of these messages carefully because as they are sent from your email address and not from Freedom United, you are responsible for the content of these messages.
HOW CAN YOU STOP RECEIVING EMAIL FROM FREEDOM UNITED?
You can manage all your email subscriptions here including unsubscribing from all emails. You can also write to or call us at the contact information below. We will act quickly to implement but please allow up to five business days for us to remove your email address from our system.
If you would like to verify, update or change the contact information we have received from you, please contact us.
4501 Atlantic Ave. Suite 132
Raleigh, NC 27604
GAINING ACCESS TO, UPDATING OR DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
If at any time you want to request, update, correct or remove personal information, you are welcome to submit a request by using this contact form. We may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request. If you are aware of changes or inaccuracies in your personal information, you should inform us of such changes so that our records may be updated or corrected.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
We will retain your personal information only for as long as reasonably necessary for the purposes set out above, considering criteria such as applicable rules on statute of limitations, legal requirements and the duration of your use of the Websites and receipt of our services.
USERS FROM THE EUROPEAN UNION
Freedom United is the data controller for processing of information defined as personal data under applicable data protection law (“Personal Data”).
In some instances, you may be required to provide us with Personal Data for processing as described above, in order for us to be able to provide you all of our services, and for you to use all the features of the Websites.
- Your Rights: In addition to the rights to access, amend or delete your Personal Data as set out above, you may be entitled, in accordance with applicable law, to object to or request the restriction of processing of your Personal Data, and to request portability of your own Personal Data. Requests should be submitted by completing the form here.
If you consider that our processing of your Personal Data infringes applicable law, you may lodge a complaint with a competent supervisory authority, which may be the authority in your Member State of residence or work.
If you have any questions about how we handle your personal information and protect your privacy, please feel free to contact us here or call us at +1 984-500-3725. You may also mail requests to:
4501 Atlantic Ave., Suite 132
Raleigh, NC 27604